Sometimes, providing too much care can be worse than neglecting an animal's needs.

Chameleons are sensitive creatures that require precise and uncompromising care in captivity; otherwise, they may suffer and have shortened lifespans. While it's positive that people are now giving chameleons some basic care and not neglecting them, there is a growing trend of overcaring for these animals. Many owners fail to properly read and understand the requirements for supplements and end up giving them excessive amounts of vitamin mixtures with every meal. The problem is that certain vitamins can become toxic if overdosed!

Recently, an owner had to make the difficult decision to euthanize his chameleon, which had been heavily dosed with Reptivite with D3 during each meal. At just one year and two months of age, the chameleon suffered from renal failure, excruciating gout, and was unable to eat or move, ultimately leading to euthanasia.

Please, take the time to thoroughly read and understand the care guidelines for chameleons and provide them with the appropriate level of care they need.


Further reading

Harmless substance refers to a substance that typically does not pose any immediate threat or danger to health or well-being. However, when this substance is present in large volumes or concentrations, it can transform or become poisonous, posing potential risks or hazards to individuals or the environment. In other words, the harmless substance can turn into a poison when its quantity exceeds a certain threshold!


1. Salt: Salt is commonly used for seasoning food and is generally harmless when consumed in moderation. However, consuming excessive amounts of salt can lead to high blood pressure and other health issues. The recommended daily intake of salt for an adult is about 2,300 milligrams (about 1 teaspoon). Consuming more than 5,000 milligrams (about 2 teaspoons) per day can increase the risk of hypertension and related conditions. This for humans, for chameleons, it is 1000-2000times less!!! It starts already at 0,5 - 1 milligrams!!!

2. Vitamin A: Vitamin A is an essential nutrient found in many foods and is necessary for maintaining good health. However, consuming excessive amounts of vitamin A can lead to toxicity. The tolerable upper intake level for vitamin A is 3,000 micrograms (10,000 IU) per day for adults. Consuming more than 10,000 micrograms (33,333 IU) per day, especially through supplements or certain animal-based foods, can cause nausea, dizziness, and even liver damage. This for humans, for chameleons, it is 1000-2000times less!!! It starts already at 5 - 10 micrograms!!! It expresse often in chameleons as general swelling and gular oedema.

3. Vitamin D3: Vitamin D3 is essential for bone health and is mostly obtained through sunlight exposure and certain foods. However, excessive intake of vitamin D3 supplements can lead to toxicity. The recommended daily intake of vitamin D3 for adults is 600-800 IU. Consuming more than 4,000 IU per day can result in vitamin D toxicity, causing symptoms like nausea, vomiting, weakness, and even kidney damage. It's important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking high-dose vitamin D3 supplements. This for humans, for chameleons, it is 1000-2000times less!!! It starts already at 0,5 - 1 IU!!!

Author: Petr Nečas